Scattered Thoughts From A Maryland Cottage

Scattered Thoughts From A Maryland Cottage
The Yin and Yang of Thankfulness

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Merry Christmas - Loaves and Fishes!

just sayin....
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for the rest of his life.
***
And so with that said I'd like to explain my thought on the above.
I've been home for weeks because of knee surgery and it is not my style not to be busy!
So I've had to continue to come up with ideas on a limited budget to keep the holiday roll going along! Yesterday was a perfect day! Just can't explain it - it was a high energy day from start to finish and not about me. It was about the pleasure you get from others. I've read other bloggers and they have such caring, creative ideas on how to touch someone else's life. I took tips and made up some of my own. It takes a village after all right?
A co-worker is having financial probs and this is not the time of year to have to worry even more about every day household supplies plus making Christmas nice with two children so I made a trip to ... yes! the Dollar Tree



 Look what you can do!




and for the troops...

Then I made goody tins for the animal shelter ...
they need donations all year long!
and my friends were gifted with mini containers
for their critters!
I found pretty loaf pans for $1 each at
Michael's and bought dessert bread mixes -
wrap them up in a pretty bag for my friends with kids =
a family snowy day baking project is born!

See... loaves and fishes =
pass ideas on!
I found these little guys and bought plastic gift bags at the dollar store...
packed them up in a bigger Christmas bag and off they went to a local shelter for the kids.
cute or what?!!!

No time...
Have the time... try this recipe...
Pumpkin Spice Granola



Directions

  • In a large bowl, combine the oats, coconut, pecans, almonds and sunflower kernels; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine the oil, honey, water, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Remove from the heat; stir in extract. Pour over oat mixture and toss to coat.
  • Transfer to two greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans. Bake at 300° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 13 cups.
  • Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 284 calories, 18 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 111 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.

26 Servings
Prep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + 45 cooling  

Some years I don't have the time I'd like or the energy, imagination and heaven knows the extra cash. I work two jobs so I know how tough this economy is. I hope I don't sound as if I'm preaching to do, and do and do. But I've seen what faith can do.  I've witnessed little things bring joy to someone's life. So today and yes, several days lately... I had joy and some fun ideas ... a little extra cash and I went for it. Maybe tomorrow I won't be able to buy a bag of dog for for the shelter but I know I can make some of my cards to donate to our local hospice center and all it took was supplies I already have and my time.

So why did I have the best day...I'll tell you sometime...

OK, GOD is so AWESOME!

No comments: