Scattered Thoughts From A Maryland Cottage

Scattered Thoughts From A Maryland Cottage
The Yin and Yang of Thankfulness

Friday, June 4, 2010

Not Just Any Day At The Beach ... Recipes, Family and Summer NJ Style!

    hot news, hot grill and ME going on and on..

I'm always looking for new recipes for the grill. Something light. Don't get me wrong...coming from an Italian family - we're big on sausage, peppers and onions, lots of garlic, LOTS of garlic. Pasta, bread. Fresh crunchy crust bread. In fact the best bagels I've ever had are in New Jersey . They have a French Toast bagel that is....well it's yummo and not listed in the calorie counter book. I'm sure it's several days of Weight Watcher points. Holy Canoli! So, moving right along....

I've seen several recipes for Shrimp Skewers that sounded delish. Lemon wedges in between those garlic marinated plump babies along with red onions. Lime marinated sea creatures ready to be inhaled after you have roasted them with avocado wrapped pancetta. Ohhh Mama Leone! Slices of bread ready to sop up the juices. Yes... bellas SOP!
                
You Will Need

1/2 fresh pineapple, trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
3 medium nectarines, cut into 1-inch chunks

3 medium pears, cut into 1-inch chunks

3 medium fresh peaches, cut into 1-inch chunks

3 to 4 medium plums, cut into 1-inch chunks

10 apricots, halved

3 tablespoons honey or light corn syrup, warmed

What to Do
1. Thread fruit alternately onto metal or soaked bamboo skewers.

2. Grill, uncovered, over medium-hot heat until fruit is heated through, about 6 minutes, turning often. Brush with honey or corn syrup during the last minute of grilling time.

Serves 6

From Taste of Home Backyard Grilling
or...
How to make Grilled Fruit Skewers
1. Soak the skewers in cold water for 30 minutes.
2. Prepare a charcoal grill to medium heat.
3. Start threading the fruit onto the skewers,
beginning with strawberries, then pineapple,
then papaya, and mango. Continue alternating among the four.
 4. Grill the fruit, turning as necessary, for about 6-8 minutes.
 Grill time will vary depending on ripeness of fruit.
5. Remove the skewers from the grill and serve over scoops of Butter Pecan Ice Cream.
Ingredients
skewers
1 container large strawberries, cleaned
2 mangos, peeled and seeded
1/2 large papaya, peeled and seeded
1/2 pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into even pieces
1 carton Butter Pecan Ice Cream

I'm an only child. When I was little I used to pretend I had 9 brothers and sisters. In fact, I used to tell people I had 9 brothers and sisters when I would first meet them. I think of was about 7. Then my mom would call and say "Can you please send Jennifer home, she's an
only child and I am a little protective of her." Awww Mooommm! But when I was with my cousins ... that Big loving family with the open door policy - heaven.
Two Grandmas lived there always.
Friends could stay over, friends could move in.
When I would ask if there was enough dinner for me to stay, my cousin Linda 
 would say "if we can feed 8, why can't we feed 1 more?".  So when I drive up from Maryland to be with the Mondelli's ... it's not about
romance
it's about.... family        
9:32 am doctor called blood work fine - ct scan clear - 1 year cancer free
thank you with all my heart for your prayers  Jennifer

No comments: