Scattered Thoughts From A Maryland Cottage

Scattered Thoughts From A Maryland Cottage
The Yin and Yang of Thankfulness

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The Yin and Yang of Thankfulness

“One of the main reasons that we lose our enthusiasm in life is because we become ungrateful..we let what was once a miracle become common to us. We get so accustomed to his goodness it becomes a routine..” 
                                                                                                 Joel Osteen


it's windy, wet and I see a few flurries
outside my bedroom window while I
write this post and I've been thinking about so
many things on this early release day. I work in a 
high school health room which means
everyone left early for the holiday. as always, 
it was a crazy pre-holiday week because not
everyone is happy about Thanksgiving. some families 
are broken, homeless, hungry and all of the above.
I didn't realize to what degree until I began this career
11 years ago. I've always had a meal. 
in fact, I've usually trying to lose a few pounds.
so as I sit here, I began to think about this past year
 and the title of this post 
"The Yin and the Yang of Thankfulness". 

I don't believe I take the time every day 
to be thankful enough. 
for every moment with my kids
instead of saying "I wish I saw 
you more often" - I want to just 
enjoy them!
and there's a little one on  
the way in a few weeks
....
enjoying the stillness of winter,
school snow days, comforters,
Christmas... instead of moaning about 
slush and short dark days.
....
bringing more flowers inside the house
and taking road trips to gardens
I've always wanted to see.
....
I had both knees replaced in March,
I'm pain free and this is 
going to be my summer!
and thanking others... I want to bitch less -
and thank more.
Well, I'm going to try.  
Because I have so many, many things
to be thankful for.  Jenn

Give this a try... I want to!

Grapefruit Cranberry Marmalade
adapted from myrecipes
  • 4 large grapefruit (about 4 pounds)
  • 1.5 cups water
  • 2.5 cups cranberries
  • 3 cups sugar
  1. Carefully remove the rind of each grapefruit with a vegetable peeler or pairing knife, being careful to avoid the white pith. Slice the rind into thin strips. Place in a large saucepan.
  2. Peel and section the grapefruit: Slice off a piece of both the top and bottom of each grapefruit until the fruit is visible. Place on a cutting board. Starting at the top and following the curve of the fruit, cut away the remaining pith until only the flesh and membrane are left. Holding the fruit on it”s side, slide a pairing knife between one section of fruit and the membrane that is holding it there, loosening it”s hold. Cut alongside the opposite side of the fruit to loosen it from the membrane on the opposite side. Continue all the way along the grapefruit. Place the grapefruit sections into the saucepan and discard the empty membrane.
  3. Add 1.5 cups water to the saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 min, stirring occasionally.
  4. Stir in cranberries and simmer for another 10 min.
  5. Add sugar and simmer for 30 min until slightly thickened. Continuing to stir occasionally.
  6. Remove from heat and allow to cool 10 min. Poor into jars or plastic containers and allow to cool for another 20 min before putting on lids. Let sit on counter until room temperature. Store in the fridge or freezer.
Makes approx: 5 cups
*This will keep for 3 weeks in the fridge or 6 months in the freezer.
*Cranberries have enough natural pectin to set this jam by itself. It is important to note that fresh cranberries have more pectin then frozen ones and therefore will set firmer. I did use frozen cranberries for mine and it turned out fine.
*To remove excess pith from the peeled rind: hold the rind firmly, pith side up, with one hand and drag your pairing knife in the opposite direction, shaving away the pith.
                                              thank you to...      Kitchen Simplicity.com                    

1 comment:

Chatty Crone said...

I love your beautiful pictures.
Thanks for sharing things with me too!
I know you are excited about your grandchild!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Have a great one.
sandie