Scattered Thoughts From A Maryland Cottage

Scattered Thoughts From A Maryland Cottage
The Yin and Yang of Thankfulness

Friday, September 30, 2011

October Gave a Party

October Gave A Party
The leaves by hundreds came -
The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples,
And leaves of every name.
The Sunshine spread a carpet,
And everything was grand,
Miss Weather led the dancing,
Professor Wind the band.
~George Cooper, "October's Party"



Grilled Bacon Jalapeno Wraps

Ingredients: 6 fresh jalapeno peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese 12 slices bacon



Directions: Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.
Spread cream cheese to fill jalapeno halves. Wrap with bacon. Secure with a toothpick.

Place on the grill, and cook until bacon is crispy.
Besides the autumn poets sing,
A few prosaic days
A little this side of the snow
And that side of the haze.
~Emily Dickinson

Mushrooms By: Hidden Valley® Ranch

"Creamy Garlic Ranch dressing brings new flavor to the classic stuffed mushroom."
Ingredients:  2 cups unseasoned small croutons 3/4 cup hot water 1/2 cup Hidden Valley® Garlic Ranch Dressing 30 medium (3-inch diameter) fresh mushrooms 3 tablespoons butter 1/3 cup chopped green pepper 1/3 cup chopped red pepper 3 tablespoons chopped green onions 1 large clove garlic, crushed
Directions: Combine croutons and hot water in medium bowl; cover. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in Hidden Valley Garlic Ranch Dressing; set aside.
Remove stems from mushroom caps; chop stems. Cook and stir mushroom caps in butter in large skillet until lightly browned and tender. Arrange caps in shallow baking dish.
Add 1/2 cup mushroom stems, peppers, onions and garlic to skillet. Cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender. Stir vegetables into crouton mixture. Spoon mixture into mushroom caps.
Broil 6 to 7 inches from heat source for 7 to 9 minutes, or until lightly browned and heated through.
Original Recipe Yield 15 servings
How beautifully leaves grow old. How full of light and color are their last days.
John Burroughs
So here's my plan... my birthday was yesterday and I felt loved and laughter. Being an only child, birthdays were rather uncelebrated when I was growing up. I'm a partier. I love fuss and fling. But I have also had many changes during this year of growing, ups and downs, spiritual newness. I spent the morning having blood work, a mammogram and an mri of my lt. knee. Returned to the radiology group 15 minutes later because they had done my RIGHT knee. I treated myself to breakfast out while I read my Kindle. I spoke with friends and family via texts and cell phone calls. Two friends made Beef Burgundy, Caesar Salad, Warm Crab Dip with Baguette and an Eclair Cake for my "birthday dinner" - a special text was read with enthusiasm.
Thank you to my sisters of the heart!
My sons and their loves...are always the very best!
So again... here's the plan... I'm having a girls gathering very soon with treats, wine, fall ambiance,candles lit to offer thanks to the love that is given every day of the year. Oh, and home-made pumpkin breads.

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.
Albert Camus
My friends are the flowers in the garden of my life. Jennifer
Friends warm your heart and home.

No comments: