Scattered Thoughts From A Maryland Cottage

Scattered Thoughts From A Maryland Cottage
The Yin and Yang of Thankfulness

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Hats Off To Moms

In this world moms wear many different hats...

we work, we play, we love, we weep, we worry, we rejoice, we watch, we wait, we wonder

When I was a child my Mother was often very ill. She suffered from Depression and was hospitalized many times throughout my life. She died when I was 24 and she was 49. My son Todd was 2 and I was pregnant with my son Matt. What I remember most is her joyful laugh when she was happy, how she would say "I love you Jennifer Ann" with such a fierceness in her voice - an all-loving statement. The times we would drive home from my Grandmother's and I would lay my head on her lap (no seat belts at that time) and she would sing to me and stroke my hair. She would send me baby roses in pinks or soft coral "just because" - I mimic her kind heart to this day.

Then there was my Father's Mom - the Mother of my heart. Jennie Mondelli lived to be 95 and I will always miss her. The independent woman before her time. Raised her two sons, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Served in the Army during WWII the same times her two sons were in the Army and Marines.

And as for me? I knew I wanted to be a Mom. I dreamed of my sons or daughters and how I'd cherish them. From the moment they were born, my heart surged with joy. These little (well 10lbs 22" and 9 lbs. 22") perfect boys that were in my arms and mine.
Years have flown by and we have survived diapers, finger painting with poop, showering with baby powder including our black lab, countless trips to the ER for sutures, 2 broken collar bones, high school, knowing more than I do, attitude, vehicles, my knowing less than they do, several broken noses, Army boot camp, deployment, marriage, travel, being shorter than they are, houses purchased....
and I love their lives, my life, our lives together ...I listen to the words of this song my son Todd had played for us on his wedding day and picture us dancing....
Thank You dear Lord for the gift, the sweetest blessing of being a Mom.

No comments: