Scattered Thoughts From A Maryland Cottage

Scattered Thoughts From A Maryland Cottage
The Yin and Yang of Thankfulness

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Tea Time for me and mine....







Cambodian Wedding
Tea Ceremony
The morning of my son's wedding we are to arrive at his home in Annapolis at 9 am to participate in a traditional tea ceremony that celebrates the bride and groom's ancestors and elders. My father is 87 and my step-mom is 72. Ravy's aunts are in their 70's. Usually the bride's family is served tea first and the groom's family is then served. Buddhist monks offer prayers to the dead and to the elders. Prayers are said for the bride and groom for a healthy happy marriage. After the ceremony, a brunch is served with a whole roasted pig, ducks, chickens along with many other savory dishes. This will be a very new experience for my family and I am sure I have not described it in a completely accurate manner. But it sounds pretty cool doesn't it?
Then photos, change of clothes, to the church for the wedding at 2 pm, photos, drive to the reception at 6 - a 10 course Chinese New Year's menu ................ Jennifer P.S. The bride's name changes from "Tan" to "Van Valkenburgh" yup... 14 letters.

No comments: