Scattered Thoughts From A Maryland Cottage

Scattered Thoughts From A Maryland Cottage
The Yin and Yang of Thankfulness

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Dare To Be Different! Just Dance!

photo the beautiful work of Lisa Marie Savard

You know the expression "dare to be different"?
Well, I believe it's a great motto. But I learn new things
almost every day. Working in a high school can be wonderful and challenging.
I see students that dress the same and think they look unique, students that look very
different in their own style. We have many cultures and customs.
Then there are the clients from my part- time job ...
my "peeps". They are high functioning mentally challenged individuals
that I help with their daily life skills. They are all one of a kind.

They are usually happy to see me. Happy about most days.
Love to share stories. 
"Dancing like no one is watching" was written for them.
We attend free concerts by the lake near their apartments
every Friday and Saturday evening in the summer...
about 7 to 10 of us, clients and aids.
The band starts up and my peeps go right up front and say "hello".
They know a lot of the performers by name.
And when the music plays - boy, do they swing!
They swish and sway, jump, bounce, smile, laugh and it's their world.
They know the words to all the current songs and sing out loud and with enthusiasm!
"Perfect" by Pink is a favorite.
I smile too.
So do the people in the audience.
You see it's abandon, it's joy, it's pure fun like no other.
I look, I learn, I love.
They inspire me.
So I thought about a lot of people and things that are different today.
Mother Teresa
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Jacqueline Kennedy
Marilyn Monroe
Rosa Parks
Ghandi

So who's your vote on unique?
          
              Just Dance!

No comments: